Jorrit de Jager wrote: (edited for space)

after living on sugar water and vitamin supplements for a year, I have
finally saved enough money to buy my very first L lens ...

...I thought IS would be a nice feature.
I first thought about the 75-300 IS, but I have read to many
negative things about it. Given these criteria I came to either
a 70-200 2.8 IS USM or a 100-400 4.5 -5.6 IS USM.
(If there are more please let me know) Both are L-glass,
have ring USM and IS (and about the same price tag).
Adding converters, the 70-200 can also reach 400 (560?) and
still be fully functional.

...on my EOS 50E (Elan IIE) body. I´ve been told
that because of light metering limits (of the body) the use of the
100-400 in combination with converters is a problem for AF (2x converter
puts the
min. f at 11).

So my questions:

The specs claim that the 50 can AF up to EV 18, does this mean that with
converters I will have limited AF or will I have no AF with the 100-400?

Which lens would (or did) you choose and why?

Jorrit,

Buy the 100-400mm IS lens. Its a bit less expensive than the new 70-200mm
F2.8L IS and more versatile. The only point here is that if you need F2.8
then the 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L will not work for you. I have the 100-400mm and
an EOS3 and IIe and can tell you that the 1.4x will make the 100-400mm an F8
and AF will not work. If I remember the IIe can AF to F5.6 while the EOS-3
to F8. A 2x will make it a manual focus lens on any EOS body.
Two reasons to consider the 100-400 over the 70-200mm, you can easily go to
560mm with an 1.4x, and the range from 100-400 is there so there is no need
to stop, add a TC and then shoot. Quality is excellent.
I have compared for myself a number of Canon lenses and other lenses taking
test shots and projecting the slides to 30x40. I can honestly tell you the
100-400 will stand against the 70-200 without a problem at the mid
apertures. You WILL NOT see a difference at 200mm F8 using either lens up to
30x40.

Peter K