Re-read my message and you will see that I have owned a 100-400. It wasn't a
Canon but that does not really matter for making a judgment about
versatility. As a matter of fact, I don't think I even have to own 100-400
lens to make such a judgment. I know my shooting style and my needs and from
that it is clear to me that the 70-200 is by far a better solution for me
then the 100-400.

Robert