I would guess from this comment you've not used the Kenko. I believe it to
be exceptionally close to the Canon in terms of optical quality. I ended up
with the Canon in a lens deal last year and sold the Kenko to another list
member, but I never found a situation where the Canon was better except in
the weather seal department. Plus it works on lots more lenses.

Tom P.