On Jul 8, 5:12 pm, archytas <nwte...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I had an external trying to fail my best student for swearing last
> year.  I've been asked to do some work on a PhD programme at a US
> university (better not mention it by name in case I have to take the
> work).  Compared with what you got at Sussex Chaz, it's baby play!
> And clapped-out nonsense equating to the personal development drivel
> all over undergrads like a rash at the moment.  I'm old enough now
> that I mat have inaugurated the angle, though in my version I'd have
> accepted stuff like 'spending a month with Orn' or going Bohemian or a
> few weeks with some nuclear scientists or biologists (etc.) - now it's
> all dreadful.
> Pleasing Sussex didn't neuter you mate.

I'm too old to get my balls chopped off by these little whipper-
snappers.
I've never had much respect for authority and I was not going to bow
down the
their argumentum ad verecundiam fallacy.
I didn't want to MA to get a job. For me its all about the process,
not the result.
My partner and I are still doing okay with no mortgage, so she has
encouraged me to
do what I should have done in the first place and go for Philosophy.
They do a masters
diploma, sort of an MA without the Dissertation, which is around £3k.
I felt guilty about
spending the cash, but you only live once and if I don't do that I;ll
only get a boring job
of do some courses in art or photography. I've decided that feeling
guilty about living my life the
way I want to is okay. (playing the cancer card again.).
Anyway I applied today for more punishment - though it might be too
late due to the rush to get in before the hike to the fees.

So would taking the job in the US mean moving there for a while?
Do you think you could do the gig?