I don't see a problem with the label vacuum - but Stephen is right
that we are misled.  We do stuff like sucking all the air out of a
giant aluminium lined tower and are about to do stuff like
investigating hydrogen in space (where will the electron be?).  The
latest field equations suggest (incorporating guesses on dark energy
and matter) there will be no vacuum in systems where ordinary matter
is present.  Did Carlos Castenada actually meet the 'Indians' he wrote
about?