PS... Archytas ... I got my hands on that Madsen book you mentioned...
Memoirs of a Gnostic Dwarf:

I've started reading it.....it's fun... many of the historical characters
are familiar reading to me in their own rights....HAR....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_Leo_X

Some of those historical characters were my "literary" and "artistic"
heroes.... I know that they had very "human" lives... often far from....
"perfect".... but they did all take themselves quite "seriously"....I'm
saying... I may like the "jokes".... but the "real" - "reality".... was
worthy in its own right... for whatever it was....