On Sun, 24 Nov 2002, Sander Pool wrote:
> AFAIK the most common source of hydrogen right now is natural gas. I don't
> know what the process is, does it use electric power as well?

It may incidentally use electricity for things like compressors, but I
don't think there's major use of electricity as a direct energy input.
The process is 2H2O + CH4 -> CO2 + 4H2.  And it actually liberates more
CO2 than burning the natural gas would, because the process is not 100%
efficient.

> Until we start electrolizing water with relatively clean electricity (ie.
> solar/wind/tide/water power) H2 powered cars really aren't that clean...

Quite so.  To date, electrolysis is impossibly expensive for bulk
commercial H2 production.

                                                          Henry Spencer