On Sat, 31 May 2003 03:55:43 +0100, Ian Woollard
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>There is a probability argument; about whether the panels can blow out
>when you don't want them to.

Well, kind of.  Yes, there is a probability argument.  To be credible,
it must be based on an engineering analysis.  The engineering analysis
will also feed back into the design process.  The resulting design
changes will change the probability argument.

>Probably because making range safety devices reliable is comparatively
>cheap and easy, whereas making engines reliable isn't as cheap and easy.

That is the conventional wisdom, yes.

-R

-- "We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters
will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare.  Now, thanks to
the Internet, we know this is not true." -- Robert Wilensky, UC Berkeley