On Thu, 05 Jun 2003 04:28:32 +0100, Ian Woollard
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>You need to demonstrate EC < 30E-6 for every flight.
>>
>Does this mean that from a regulatory standpoint small vehicles have a
>somewhat easier time; since less mass == [presumably] less chance of
>casualties per launch, even if that means you launch more often to
>launch the same total mass ;-)

Unless your reliability is very high - and there has yet to be a
launch vehicle demonstrate the required high reliability - the extra
risk from the additional launches much more than offset any savings
from the smaller casualty area of the smaller vehicle.

OTOH, the very large vehicles have reliability records that make Evel
Knievel look like Air Force One.

-R

-- "We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters
will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare.  Now, thanks to
the Internet, we know this is not true." -- Robert Wilensky, UC Berkeley