Adrian Tymes wrote:
--- Randall Clague <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
You need 2998 flights to demonstrate that with 95%
confidence.

Eh?  1000 runs where X does not fail, therefore
P(X_fail) < 1/1000.  Ditto Y.  These just happen to be
the same 1000 runs.

No. Let's say you've done 1000 flights and had 0 failures. Clearly the average failure rate is 0, but you may just have been lucky- there is a big error bar on the average failure rate. For example, if the real failure rate was worse than you'd hoped, say, 1 in 900 then the probability that you'd had no failure 1000x in a row = ( 1-1/900)^1000 = 32% that you have had no failures yet. So you'd need to do many more trials to prove that the failure rate was as good as you say with 95% accuracy.

In fact, after 1000 trials with no failures, the 95% confidence is a failure rate of only 1/330.
--
-Ian        "Everything I say is a lie"
            Motto: "You're Not Authorized to Know Our Motto."