On 2009-03-12, at 17:04EDT, Brendan Eich wrote:

On Mar 12, 2009, at 1:54 PM, P T Withington wrote:

But, I would very much like to see a standard way to discover an Object's constructor, and a way to enumerate _all_ the properties of an object. I know there is a tension between security and introspection. I don't know if this is something that can be handled by the presumably already-overloaded strict mode.

ES3.1 has Object.getOwnPropertyNames and Object.getOwnPropertyDescriptor, so you can go to town with those.

Excellent. I almost guessed correctly, I called it objectOwnProperties: http://tinyurl.com/atcasp

Identifying the constructor is harder. Having to slice a substring out of Object.prototype.toString.call(obj) is disgusting, but it kind of works. Not sure about all the various non-standard class names formatted that way (IE calls DOM classes "Object"?!).

So, why can't we standardize the `constructor` property, that seems to exist in some implementations, to actually return the constructor of the object (and not the constructor of the object's prototype, which is useless)?