On 2009-03-13, at 01:04EDT, Brendan Eich wrote:

To your point, which I addressed in different terms: we could make Object.prototype.toString look for [[Class]].[[Constructor]].name where [[Constructor]] is unnameable-by-script and references the class's constructor function. This would satisfy Tobie's wish while avoiding the mutation hazards inherent in using constructor.name. Either solution wants the function name property to be standard.

Can we go one step further? I want (something like) Object.getOwnConstructor() to return Object.[[Class]]. [[Constructor]]. I want to be able to get a handle on the constructor of the object, not just the name of that constructor (since in some cases that name might be 'anonymous' which doesn't help me). Is that a possibility?