On Jul 2, 2010, at 7:45 PM, Mark S. Miller wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 4:40 PM, Maciej Stachowiak <m...@apple.com> wrote:
>
> I agree that "EphemeronTable" is too jargon-ish and may dissuade developers
> from using it. I like Map better than Table as a suffix. Ephemeral is an
> improvement, but it sounds like the whole map object is ephemeral, rather
> than its mappings. Here are some other ideas:
>
> WeakMap  - doesn't specifically false-advertise as a "weak key" map, but gets
> the right idea across
> CacheMap - a major use case for this is for "caching" extra data about
> objects with automatic cleanup
> ExtraDataMap - it's a way to store additional data about objects / values (in
> a way that is cleaned up automatically)
>
> I'm happy with all three of these. Interesting point about WeakMap. Not only
> does it not false advertise, we can even give a rationale about why it is the
> right name: it is not quite the key that is weak, it is more the mapping that
> is weak.

Indeed, that's what I had in mind when suggesting it. The mapping is weak.

> I don't think giving credit to inventors should be a major consideration in
> API naming. We can give them credit in the spec.
>
> I'm not sure if there is currently a plan to add a vanilla Map. Some have
> suggested that Object.hash is enough, and JS libraries could build on top of
> the primitive.
>
> Actually, IIRC, that is not anyone's position. Allen was the main advocate
> for Object.hash and his point is that developers not be stuck with the
> built-in Map implementation. IIRC, he still did think that there should be
> some built-in Map implementation even if developers can build alternatives.
> Allen?

I don't recall precisely enough what anyone's exact position was. I don't
recall anyone being firmly opposed to a normal Map, it just didn't seem like a
high priority.

I agree that the hash code (and corresponding equivalence relation) should be
exposed regardless.

Regards,
Maciej