As Brendan pointed out, the version evolution problem is nowhere near
a solved issue in language design; the only approaches I know of that
get close to it are the versioning of words in Forth and, depending on
how you look at it, the dynamic code loading mechanisms of Erlang
(and class loaders in Java). Insisting that we somehow come up with
a mechanism to prevent conflicts seems like a pretty high bar; I'd
like to hear more from people with such a view if that was indeed the
blocking objection.

-- Dirk