I wrote up a design a while back for what might be called "value proxies",
which extend the Javascript proxy proposal to also trap primitive
operators, enabling libraries for bignums or decimals, etc.
The write-up is for an idealized 'micro-Javascript' language,
but still helps clarify parts of the potential design space.

See http://www.soe.ucsc.edu/research/report?ID=1595

      - Cormac