The generators from JS 1.7 are too specific to provide much help with
promises, IMO. Adding a yield operator fundamentally alters the
semantics of the entire surrounding function, violating the principle
of locality. Consequently you need special mechanisms (like Neil's
library) to even call an async function, and you can't "return" values
either (with the return operator). Solving these problems was the
point behind the shallow continuation proposal that we worked on. Does
the generator strawman build on that work, or does it still fail to
preserve locality?

My understanding of Kyle's proposal was that he did not want to
introduce real continuations, but this was more of a syntax for a
specialized callback chain, reducing the verbosity of anon functions,
callback registration. I'd prefer more of a generalized solution for
reducing the size of anon functions (which has been discussed to great
lengths here in the lambda threads). However, my belief on async is
that the verbosity is only part of the pain, working with async within
various control flows (loops, branches, etc) is more of a burden,
hence the need for continuations (shallow/single frame, of course).
Kris

- --
Kris Zyp
SitePen