Hi,

If 'getPropertyNames' and 'getPropertyDescriptor' becomes derived traps,
then one question arises:
Should derived traps be defined only thanks to fundamental traps or
thanks to what Mark Miller called in a previous e-mail "remaining traps"
(what I understand as all the rest, modulo obviously avoiding
interdepencies issues)? This question doesn't need to be asked if
'getPropertyNames' and 'getPropertyDescriptor' are fundamental, but
since some default behavior of derived traps requires them, it's a
different story if they become derived.

Let's assume for the rest of this e-mail that they become derived.
The current defaut 'enumerate' trap uses both 'getPropertyNames' and
'getPropertyDescriptor'. We have (at least) two choices: keep the
current definition that uses them or doing one which only uses
'getOwnPropertyNames' and 'getOwnPropertyDescriptor'.
If someone decides to explicitly implement only the 5 fundamental +
'getPropertyNames' and 'getPropertyDescriptor', then depending on the
enumerate definition we choose, the result will be different if the
handler's get(Own)Property(Descriptor|Names) definitions aren't
consistent with the "climbing prototype chain" idea.

I am just raising the question now, I do not have strong convictions on
what should be the rational behind default dehaviors. I would suggest to
only use fundamental traps (even though it may result in longer code).
This way we /could/ provide some garantees like prototype chain climbing
and delegation to fundamental trap of prototypes if they are proxies
themselves. If people aren't satisfied with this garantee, they can
redefine the method anyway.
But I kind of like the idea that if my prototype chain is filled with
proxies, method (like enumerate) which are supposed to climb the proto
chain do it for me even though I have redefined methods which are
usually supposed to climb it such as getPropertyDescriptor.

Another concern on derived trapped definition is other traps returned
values. I however notice that this point is written in the open issue of
dealing with inconsistent data returned by handler traps, so i won't go
further.

Cheers,

David