Le 26/01/2011 17:45, Tom Van Cutsem a écrit :
> Ok, so Mark and I briefly discussed the implications of making
> "getPropertyDescriptor" and "getPropertyNames" derived.
>
> Here's one issue: if you try and write these traps as methods of some
> sort of "default" handler as we did for the other derived traps (see
> <http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=harmony:proxies#trap_defaults>) you'll
> notice that the handler, by default, has no way of referring to the
> proxy it's intercepting, hence can't get at its prototype and hence
> can't do the prototype-chain-walk.
This problem seems to have occured already for the set and get trap for
which (like your proposition at the end) has been resolved with adding
the proxy as an argument (called 'receiver' or 'proxy' depending on the
example).

> Now, from an implementation point-of-view, this isn't really a problem
> since the proxy implementation can make the connection between proxy
> and handler when the trap is called, and thus can do the
> prototype-chain-walk. It's just that you can't write it out in
> Javascript itself. Mark argues that therefore, "getPropertyDescriptor"
> and "getPropertyNames" are still fundamental.
Tell me if I'm wrong, but I think that one of proxies goal is to enable
people to write in ECMAScript what they usually can't. If we're starting
to make things that aren't writable in ECMAScript, we're kind of failing
at empowering proxy users.
I'm highly in favor of having default proxies behavior writable in
ECMAScript.

> Yet we both agree that providing a default implementation for these 2
> traps makes perfect sense. Mark suggested we could classify traps in
> two different ways: ("optional" vs "mandatory") vs ("fundamental" vs
> "derived"). In that view, getPropertyDescriptor and getPropertyNames
> would be optional and fundamental. All other traps would be either
> (fundamental & mandatory) or (derived & optional).
>
> I think that for developers, really the only distinction that matters
> is "optional" vs "mandatory". The "fundamental" vs "derived"
> distinction helps to clarify things for us spec. readers/writers.
This is a very good point.

> While writing this, I also thought of another potential solution: we
> could choose to pass the proxy as an additional argument to the traps.
> Then the default implementation of getPropertyDescriptor could be
> written in Javascript as follows (adapting David's code):
>
> // currently, this trap only takes the 'name' param
> getPropertyDescriptor: function(proxy, name) {
>     var objectToInspect;
>     var result;
>
>     for(objectToInspect = proxy;
>         objectToInspect !== null;
>         objectToInspect = Object.getPrototypeOf(objectToInspect))
>     {
>             result = Object.getOwnPropertyDescriptor(objectToInspect,
> name);
>             if (result !== undefined) { return result; }
>     }
>
>     return undefined;
> }
This idea brings back the fact that getPropertyDescriptor has a fallback
if it's not explicitely defined and the fact that we're not doing
something that proxy users can't do.

However, it naturally raises the question: which trap should have the
proxy as an argument?

I think that the only reason why we haven't needed this argument so far
is that the handler object could be self sufficient (so we thought).
Indeed, all the proxy semantics was in the handler. Who'd need the proxy
as an argument when you already have all the semantics with you (through
'this' as used in the no-op forwarding example)?
But the point we were missing in that we do NOT have ALL the semantics.
Looking at the "Semantics of Proxies" page
(http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=harmony:proxies_semantics), we
can notice that the [[Prototype]] property isn't reified by any method.
Same for [[Class]], [[DefaultValue]] and [[HasInstance]].
There are reasons for not having a handler method that reify them, so
this is very unlikely to change. This means that in any handler method
that does not have the proxy as a argument, these things won't be
available. Meaning, that:
- we cannot reach the proxy prototype within a handler method (this is
probably the most annoying point, because it means that within your
handler code, you do not have access to the prototype you have set for
your proxy)
- there is no way within a handler method to know if the handler is used
for a proxy and function proxy
- there is no way to use instanceOf withing a handler method
- (is there a way to reach [[DefaultValue]]?)

For all these reasons, I think that the proxy should be given as an
argument to all handler methods.

This would also make the handler API more consistent with object APIs.
When you look at the API method list, you can notice that all commented
methods (surface syntax) are (obviously) using the proxy as an argument.
And certainly that all native method implementations use this argument.
The only methods that does use it in a different way than calling
another internal method are 'set' and 'get', because they need to do a
this-binding (see no-op forwarding example); something that you cannot
do with only the handler.

Cheers,

David