On 03.09.2011 1:26, John J Barton wrote:
I'm pretty puzzled by this discussion and I'm guessing other folks might be puzzled as well. Since I understood node fibers as "thread for Node", the discussion I read is:

   /be: You can have threads!
   Mikeal: We don't want threads!

If I'm on the right track, then I should understand how this relates to proxies. But I don't. Any hints?

Don't be worry :) the topic is a little bit changed. Initially it was asked how to provide asynchronous property readings (proxy's `get` trap, or a simple accessor's get which call some deferred action) in the syncronious view. And consuming generators (being a technique of implementation of cooperative processes) allow to do this, since can suspend a process and resume it from the next line, i.e. representing asynchronous in syncronious view.

But, that's said, even more elegant of such a technique would be either syntactic transformation at compilation level, or creation of implicit task-wrapper with a sugar for `yield` in this case. Regarding not using `yield` for improving asynchronous programming -- I also didn't understand the reasons. Because currently programming in Erlang (which have the same "green thread" which are managed by an _implicit_ scheduler) I can say that Node.js's spagetty-code with nested callbacks just, sorry, sucks in comparison with Erlang's which is also asynchronous, but allows to write it all in the synchronous manner. Though, the topic is not about Erlang...

Dmitry.