> From: Waldemar Horwat <walde...@google.com>
> Subject: Re: Sep 27 meeting notes
> Date: September 30, 2011 23:17:04 GMT+02:00
> To: Brendan Eich <bren...@mozilla.com>
> Cc: es-discuss <es-discuss@mozilla.org>, Erik Arvidsson
> <erik.arvids...@gmail.com>
>
> Without 2, 4, and 5, object initializers are close enough to make having an
> extra class facility not carry its weight.

Can you show code that backs up that assertion? (I’m curious, not dismissive.)

Wasn’t it David Herman a while ago who listed a minimal feature list? For me it
would be:

1. Super property references (mainly methods)
2. Super constructor references
3. Subclassing (mainly wiring the prototypes)
4. Defining a class as compactly as possible (with subclassing, it is painful
that one has to assemble so many pieces).
5. Having a standard construct that fosters IDE support. Currently there are
too many inheritance APIs out there, making IDE support nearly impossible.
6. A platform on which to build future extensions (traits!).

Allen’s object literal extensions give us #1 and #2. His prototype operator
gives us #3. #4 can be done via Allen’s pattern or by introducing the methods
- Function.prototype.withPrototypeProperties(props)
- Function.prototype.withClassProperties(props)

I’m not sure about #5 (I’d consider class literals a plus here). #6 can be
postponed if we can get 1-5 by other means, but there will be a price to pay if
two competing ways of defining classes have to be used in ES.next.next.

--
Dr. Axel Rauschmayer

a...@rauschma.de
twitter.com/rauschma