On Oct 30, 2011, at 10:39 AM, John J Barton wrote:

> In the abstract I would agree, but, in our world, every college
> sophomore CS student learns a class based language and, in our world,
> prototypical inheritance in JS uses a bizarre pattern of expression.
> ES should work make this bizarre pattern unnecessary so prototypical
> inheritance can shine. Using ".prototype" in new patterns heads in the
> wrong direction: that is the comment I was making on Allen's proposal.

Note that my "class pattern" that was the topic at the beginning of this thread
is not a pattern for expression prototypal inheritance.  It is a pattern for
expressing "classical" (ie, class-based) inheritance in JavaScript using
existing JavaScript terminology and conventions.

If you are primarily interested in prototypal inheritance then you want
something else.   My "objet exemplar" proposal focus on that.

The complication for all of this, is that we have to accommodate both
prototypal and classical forms (and old and new code) and make them work
reasonably well together.  We Don't have a clean slate to work form.

Allen