> "begets" is pure win. http://i.word.com/idictionary/beget, it's pronounceable
> and searchable/google-able (being able to find new syntax docs is crucial).
> It has a known history and follows an existing grammar precedent.
>
> Perhaps least importantly, I feel like a can get excited about "begets"

    let obj = base begets {a: 1, b: 2}
    let arr = base begets [p, q, r]
    let fun = base begets function (...args) { ... }
    let re  = base begets /(\w+)\s+(\w)+/g
    let Employee  = Person begets { ... }

Three positive aspects of begets:
- begets (as opposed to “beget”) in the above examples reads like English.
- We have created a handy new word for talking about prototypal inheritance: a
prototype begets an object, an object is begotten (sic?) by its prototype.
- It works the same for “subclassing” and for creating instances (singleton
instances, otherwise, you would use “new”).

If people manage to get over their class bias (which is hard, because we have
been exposed to classes so much) then “begets” is a much more natural way of
doing things, because you always directly work with and connect objects.

--
Dr. Axel Rauschmayer
a...@rauschma.de

home: rauschma.de