On Oct 30, 2011, at 11:20 PM, Brendan Eich wrote:

>> I landed on 'beget' because 'create' is close but vague yet poisoned, and we
>> need something pithy.
>
> Also, 'beget' does match the "sire" or "hatch" connotation of taking a parent
> (Self again) object and differentialy inheriting another object from it via
> proto-linking. Clone means make a twin and mutate. Copy is, well, just a copy
> -- arguably close to clone and one char shorter (so Self chose well). What we
> have with <| is more like "generate a child" -- hence, 'beget'.

I've (very) briefly considered "sires" as it has the right connotation.

some others (probably all too long for Brendan's tastes):

"provides" (properties for)
"provisions"
"generalizes"
"derives"
"spawns"
"engenders"
"differentiates"

"spawn"  (bad concurrency connotations)
"parent"  (bad DOM connotations)

Not accurately descriptive but close enough that they have some of the right
connotations.
"build"
"devise"
"forge"
"form"
"invest"

Note that for many non-native English speakers probably don't have many of
these words (including beget) in their vocabularies. For them, a symbolic token
such as <| or <: is probably just as meaningful.

Allen