On Oct 31, 2011, at 1:38 PM, Mike Samuel wrote:

> 2011/10/31 Maxime Chevalier-Boisvert <maximechevali...@gmail.com>:
>> Hello,
>> I recently presented a paper about Tachyon, a research (meta-circular)
>> JavaScript VM implementation at DLS 2011. Sam Tobin-Hochstadt suggested that
>> I join this list and mention our effort, to get in touch with other JS
>> implementers, and perhaps get some feedback/suggestions or contributions.
>> Tachyon is a JavaScript VM written in (extended) JavaScript. It uses a pure
>> JIT targetting x86/x86-64. We aim to eventually support the full ES5 spec.
>> We have support for most of it, but we're still missing important features
>> such as a GC, floating-point support and exceptions. Tachyon's development
>> is funded in part by Mozilla.
>
> Could you explain how this differs from other meta-circular
> interpreters like Narcissus?
> Is it correct to say that this is not a tree-interpreter like
> Narcissus, but a JavaScript to native compiler written in JS.

I was asking Mike privately why he asked about this, and he answered that the
"meta-circular" term suggested to him that there's a Tachyon interpreter or
tower of evaluators.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meta-circular_evaluator

I'm not an expert on "meta-circular" terminology, just curious to learn.