On Mar 21, 2012, at 9:41 PM, Brendan Eich wrote:

> Perhaps Python has the right syntax, then?
>
> from "foo.js" import foo;
> import "foo.js" as Foo;

I suppose we could. I always thought this was an awkward choice on Python's
part. The first line always reminds me of the Yinglish constructions my grandma
used to joke about from her childhood ("cut me up and butter me and throw me
down the baby a piece of bread!").

> I'm not wed to any syntax but if the only problem is the swapping of imported
> export patterns and the module reference or MRL, then we could fix that just
> as Python did.

The thing is, I just don't really see the argument against the bound variable
being on the RHS. It reads perfectly naturally:

    import "foo.js" as foo;

I don't see anything hard to follow about that. There's no possible alternative
meaning you could ascribe to it than the right one.

Dave