As one of the designers of AS4 (the next version of ActionScript), I can say
that we are looking not only to (1) remove awkward ES4 features that come in
the way of simplicity and performance, but also to (2) limit dynamic features
and boost static features at the same time. (We have our reasons, and I don't
want to go into them here.) As such AS4 may be moving further away from ES
instead of coming closer.

That said, one possibly interesting avenue for future work would be a
cross-compilation story from AS4 to ES6 that hits the right optimizations in
the underlying implementation (i.e., the translation reuses the constructs and
code patterns that ES implementations naturally optimize for).

Of course, a part of Adobe is also devoted to HTML5/JS futures, but at this
point they are disconnected from ActionScript evolution.

-Avik.