On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 2:30 AM, Brendan Eich <bren...@mozilla.org> wrote:
> You really should read back in es-discuss if you have time (understand if
> you don't!). We covered what made ES4 fail. The main problem was namespaces,
> upon which packages were built.
>
> Unfortunately, AS3 uses namespaces and packages heavily. Mozilla's Shumway
> project includes an AS3 bytecode recompiler that generates JS, and we cannot
> lower namespaces to anything native and JIT-optimized in JS itself. Cc'ing
> Tobias in case he can comment.

Fwiw, in our as3vm we solved the namespace problem by prefixing all
properties with a namespace and an arbitrary separator (that would be
illegal in regular identifiers). But there are more issues in "as3 vs
es" than namespaces. For example: implicit instance closures (x=a.foo;
implicitly binds x to a) and that pesky `"foo" === new String("foo")`
rule (true in as3, false in es). There are more obviously, these are
the ones that blew my mind when I encountered them. The implicit bind
is really annoying to cover completely in js :/

So I agree with the sentiment that ES won't easily (re)connect with
as3. Especially when Adobe is working on an as4 that's even more
disconnected (as Avik mentioned above). And that's their prerogative,
obviously.

- peter