I understand that there's limitations on what can be packed into this
release and in particular this proposal pushes the limits. But I don't buy
the ES7-is-around-the-corner wager for two reasons.

The first reason is that I believe it's likely going to be a lot harder to
get syntax changes into ES7 than for ES6. ES6 is basically the cruise boat
to new syntax and once that boat sets sail it's going to be another decade
before anyone wants to screw around with breaking syntax changes.
Introducing breaking syntax changes in every release just isn't going to
feasible with no language support for gracefully handling unknown syntax.

The second reason is that even if my prediction for syntax changes in ES7
proves false, anything that does live in ES7 can expect to be unusable for
practical purposes until ES7 is released. By the time that happens people
will either have decided symbols with no syntax support aren't worth the
trouble, or the world will have just that much more ugly code in it.

Syntactic support for Symbols, of all the things on the table that are not
sure things, is the one that *needs* to be in ES6.