On Dec 3, 2012, at 6:14 PM, Brandon Benvie <bran...@brandonbenvie.com> wrote:

> I understand that there's limitations on what can be packed into this release
> and in particular this proposal pushes the limits.

Look, that's all it comes down to. All the various @names proposals have
problems. No alternative we've talked about is workable, and none of them has
had enough scrutiny. Syntax seems to be one of the most expensive things to add
to a language in terms of perceived complexity.

I feel for you. When I first proposed private names (in 2008, I think?) it had
accompanying syntax. But syntax design is really, really hard. And so very easy
to screw up. Meanwhile, it was proposed a *year-and-a-half* after the deadline,
and we have lots of other work to do.

Dave