Brendan Eich wrote:
Mark S. Miller wrote:
Class is an interesting case though, for three reasons.
1) Its body is not a function body, and so it would be yet more syntax
to enable a class to opt into strict mode explicitly.

Right. I don't think we've considered this carefully in TC39 yet.

2) It is a large-grain abstraction mechanism, much like modules, and
often used as the only module-like mechanism in many existing
programming languages. (Yes, JavaScript is a different language. But
we called it "class" to leverage some of that prior knowledge.)

Won't quibble ;-).

3) It looks as foreign to old ES3 programmers as does module.

More positive: it looks like a unit of new and stricter code, so it
could be strict by fiat, implicitly.

So I recommend no implicit opt-in, except for module (of course) and
possibly class. If class does not implicitly opt in, we need to extend
the class body syntax to accept a "use strict" pragma.

Good, happy to have support for class bodies implicitly strict!

I would like it as well.

/be

Herby