David Herman wrote:
OK, I've made that same argument recently, I'll take it. I guess what I can
retain of that argument is that*if*  modules succeed, then the implicit opt-in
will have bought us little.

That I agree with (already).

But even if*not*, it's not worth proliferating the number of cases that are
implicitly strict.

But why isn't it worth the proliferation cost to get the benefit of strict-by-fiat classes if those proliferate outside of modules?

To answer that, you have to speculate on costs and benefits of strict mode for classes outside of modules, not talk about modules more:

  Modules are a good place to implicitly opt in to strict mode, because they're
a coarse-grained program structuring feature.

And granularity of class vs. module can't matter under the "even if *not*" hypothesis we are exploring together in this branch of future-reality:

Classes are finer-grained, especially dynamic classes like in ES6.

The question really is, why have sloppy-mode classes at all? Who wants or needs them?

Meanwhile we don't*need*  the world to use strict. Modules will reinforce
strictness on a large scale; classes provide much less reinforcement, and more
complexity. Not worth it.

(This just rehashes your assumption and the conclusion we agree follows from it!)