I think that "nothing" wins over "dot" or "underscore" for marking unused
positions, for one simple reason: it is implemented for years in every engines
in constructs like:

var myArray = [ , , third]

So it seems more natural to me to have something like: function( , , z) { /*
... */ }

But anyway, if one day I'll need more than one unused parameter, I would first
ask me seriously if it would not be better to refactor my function's signature
with something like:

function f({z: z})  { /* ... */ }
f({x: first, y: second, z: third})

instead of: