[+arjun, +joe, +ankur, +philippa, +gareth]

On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 11:34 PM, Sam Tobin-Hochstadt <sa...@ccs.neu.edu>wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 6:15 PM, Michael Dyck <jmd...@ibiblio.org> wrote:
> > Andreas Rossberg wrote:
> >>

> >> FWIW, there are at least two serious efforts of actually formalising
> >> and mechanising the JavaScript language, i.e. its _semantics_, which
> >> is a much more interesting endeavor.
> >

> > Could you give (or point me to) details of these projects?
> >
> > I've done some work along these lines (though I'm not sure it qualifies
> > as "serious"), so I'm wondering if I'm just reinventing the work of
> > others.
>
> The two projects Andreas is referring to are:
>
> S5 and LambdaJS, by Arjun Guha and others: http://www.jswebtools.org/
> Another, unnamed semantics, by Ankur Taly and others: http://jssec.net/

See also
http://static.googleusercontent.com/external_content/untrusted_dlcp/research.google.com/en//pubs/archive/37199.pdffor
a description of Ankur's semantics for SES-on-ES5.

Both semantics have been used as the basis for further work by other
groups, such as the JSCert group you link to above. (Btw, I am in London
right now in order to meet with them this Monday and Tuesday. I'll also be
doing a presentation on Dr. SES at Imperial on Monday.)

> S5, which covers (almost) all of ES5, is still under development, and
> passes a large portion of Test262.
>
> Sam

    Cheers,
    --MarkM