Mark S. Miller wrote:

        2) Object.prototype.__proto__ is moved back to Annex B.

    Since __proto__, unlike __defineGetter__, provides functionality
    that is otherwise unavailable, all JS platforms will treat it as
    mandatory whether we put it into Appendix B or the main text. At
    this point, I think moving this back to Appendix B would be an
    obviously meaningless gesture

My "since" is incorrect, as the functionality is available via Object.setPrototypeOf. Nevertheless, I still think this would be a meaningless gesture. OTOH, since it is meaningless, it is also mostly harmless.

Having __proto__ in the main spec be a special form when used as a property name in an object literal, but relegating Object.prototype.__proto__ to Annex B, seems inconsistent just on that basis, too. One place or the other -- main spec or Annex B -- but not both.