Brendan Eich wrote:
Axel Rauschmayer wrote:
Array.prototype.move = function move(target=0,source=0, count=this.length-source) Is the case of moving trailing elements somewhere else very common? If not, then I’d define the parameters in this order: source, count, target.
Rationale: easier to memorize.

No, assignment-expression LHS/RHS (target/source) order precedent wins for memorization (see Object.extend precedent, strcpy, memcpy, etc.).

That makes sense, thanks!

I was thinking System.arraycopy, which may not a good precedent:
http://docs.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/lang/System.html#arraycopy%28java.lang.Object,%20int,%20java.lang.Object,%20int,%20int%29

You lost me at "oracle.com/java..." :-P.

Joking aside, the weaker (source, target) order-precedent is from bcopy(3) in BSD Unix. I don't know for sure, and the signatures differ in other ways, but bcopy may have influenced Java's System.arraycopy design.

Dr. Axel Rauschmayer
a...@rauschma.de <mailto:a...@rauschma.de>

home: rauschma.de <http://rauschma.de>
twitter: twitter.com/rauschma <http://twitter.com/rauschma>