On Sep 27, 2013, at 9:07 AM, David Bruant <bruan...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I agree with the intent of keeping semantics of inter-worker and
> inter-machine very close, but the difference in terms makes very clear that
> not being able to differenciate the 2 cases incurs an information loss that
> can be detrimental to some use cases, especially performance-related ones.

Yeah, I worry about chasing after that holy grail of fully transparent
distribution, which IMO is in the list of misbegotten CS fantasies, up there
with fully automatic parallelization and human-level AI.

More to the point: as I see it, unique symbols are, like File objects and
ArrayBuffers, an ephemeral construct that can only be managed within a single
VM/computer. GUIDs are a fine thing to use for messaging protocols between
computers in a distributed setting, but I see nothing wrong with an additional
marshalling/unmarshalling layer being required to make that work. And I'm
skeptical of such a layer being automatically managed by the language (probably
for a similar reason to one of the things Mark hates about structured clone:
the magic built-in behavior hard-wired to special built-in types).

That said, I could still imagine that if we had a solution for allowing
handshaking between workers without them sharing state (which AIUI was Mark's
issue with the registry strawman I suggested in this thread), that a similar
mechanism could be useful for handshaking between computers: while user code
would still manage the JSON encoding of symbolic names (e.g. by name mangling
schemes), the unmarshalling side could then make sure to locally register the
GUID with a symbol.

Dave