HTTP 2 is coming with a feature called server-push [1] which seems more appropriate for this type of bundling. In essence, when being asked for a webpage, the server sends the HTML page as well as a bunch of resources (CSS, JS, image, whatever) in the same HTTP response. These are individually decompressed and cached and available handy when the HTML parsing requires fetching resources (lots of that can happen in parallel I imagine, depending on the bundling). Best of all, this is all seamless. Just keep writing HTML as you've always had, no need for new "assets.zip$/lib/main.js" syntax. It keeps the HTML decoupled from the "how" of resource delivery.

Among other benefits [1]:
"pushed resources are cached individually by the browser and can be reused across many pages"
=> It's not clear this can happen with an asset.zip

"by the time the browser discovers the script tag in the HTML response the |main.js| file is already in cache, and no extra network roundtrips are incurred!"
=> Not even a need to load an additional asset.zip

We can discuss the deployment aspects of HTTP 2 and whether Generic Bundling as proposed can provide benefits before HTTP 2 is fully deployed, but I feel the bottleneck will be the server-side engineering to bundle the resources and this work is equivalent for both HTTP 2 and the proposed Generic Bundling.
So HTTP 2 wins?

David

[1] http://www.igvita.com/2013/06/12/innovating-with-http-2.0-server-push/