On Nov 18, 2013 7:17 AM, "Brian Di Palma" <off...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Correct me if I'm wrong David but module import/exports are not
> dynamic which allows tooling/IDEs to be more intelligent and
> programmers to easily understand what dependencies a module
> has/provides?

Yes, that's correct, if I guess correctly at what you mean by dynamic.

Sam

> On Sat, Nov 16, 2013 at 8:30 AM, David Herman <dher...@mozilla.com> wrote:
> > On Nov 16, 2013, at 3:32 AM, John Barton <johnjbar...@google.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Could someone help me understand why two goals for parsing JS is a
good thing?

> > Hm, it sounds like you've assumed a conclusion already. Let me try to
explain anyway.

> > Scripts are for synchronous loading and evaluation; modules are for
asynchronous loading and evaluation. The former is not allowed to import,
which triggers I/O. The latter is allowed to import. There was always going
to have to be a syntactic split.

> > But there's more. I'll be explaining at this week's TC39 meeting some
more details about the intended model for browser integration. In short,
declarative code based on modules will use the <module> tag (or <script
type="module">, which will mean the same thing and allows polyfilling
today). This is better than <script async>, which was a hopeless idea. This
also works beautifully for fulfilling the promise of 1JS: a new, better
initial environment in which to run top-level application code without
requiring versioning.