Regarding:

"... My
understanding was that there is wide agreement that invoking
constructors without 'new' should be discouraged, and that functions
behaving differently for Call and Construct are considered a legacy
anti-pattern..."

I AGREE

I don't know all the story and forces to keep constructor support the "new"
and "no-new" invocation.

But I had the idea of "class MyClass... " in the new specification, was an
opportunity to:

- Give "class MyClass.. ." a clear behavior oriented to classes, without
relic behavior
- Leave "new MyFunction... " as usual, with all the power of "classic"
JavaScript

Something like:

class MyClass extends .. {
      constructor(arg1, arg2) : base(arg1) {
           this.arg2 = arg2;

where the "this" is already created, the base invocation is allowed only at
beginning,
and no "MyClass()" (no new) invocation allowed (maybe it can only detected
at runtime, and raise an exception)

But probably I cannot see all the landscape and the "compelling reasons" to
support "with new/without new" constructors, yet

Angel "Java" Lopez
@ajlopez