On Wed, Nov 12, 2014 at 1:10 PM, Kevin Smith <zenpars...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> The only thing they couldn't do (under this proposal) is expose the
>> promise being used to userland (to eliminate the chance for userland to hold
>> on to the promise and expect to be able to add an error handler at any
>> time).
>
> And lose the ability to combine the results of async functions with "all",
> "race", and any other promise combinator?  That's a core strength of the
> current design.

Yes, having async functions bottom out into promises was not an
incidental "oh, why not, we've got them lying around" decision.  It
was done because Promises are the way we handle and compose async
operations, and they're quite useful in a number of ways.  We can't
lose that without losing a *lot* of functionality, especially as
Promises get more and more built out and are used more in the language
and the DOM.

~TJ