If people are unable to internalize the whole language, then surely we need
a way to remove cruft and idiosyncracies in it, lest the language stagnate
beyond repair.

Removing var, typeof, exotic objects, function declarations, IsNaN, ==,
enumerable properties, are just a few examples of things we should not be
frightened to talk about.

While I don't personally see a need for the proposed let syntax, I think
that concerns about the language growing uncontrollably should be directed
at its apparent lack of deprecation strategy, rather than shutting down
discussion of new ideas that might help us write better programs.

Just my 2p.