I'm aware it's possible to misuse, but if concerns of misuse were a
serious issue, we wouldn't have iterators, for example [1] [2]. But
IMHO freeing weak maps from a role they weren't designed for
substantially outweighs the risks of abusing them further (and the
abuses are incredibly frequent).

[1]:
https://esdiscuss.org/topic/iterators-generators-finally-and-scarce-resources-was-april-10-2014-meeting-notes
[2]: https://esdiscuss.org/topic/resource-management