On Jul 10, 2008, at 1:28 PM, Mark S. Miller wrote:

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 11:05 AM, Brendan Eich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

So what would this program print in ES3.1?

const C = 42;
function f(x, y) {
  const C = 33;
  if (x) {
    const C = 21;
    return eval(y);
  }
  return C;
}
print(f(true, "C"));

21

What does it print in ES4-opt-in?

Call it ES4, please. There's no point in playing games about opt-in, since we know we can't "break the web". ES3 added new syntax, so did ES2. No one bugged out about "opt-in".

21 is the right answer, although reflecting lexical blocks into something eval can see is a big pain (we did this in Firefox 2). It's a lot of work just for block-scoped const. Sorry if I missed the discussion, but was restricting const to top level considered?

/be