Christopher Allen wrote,
>On Fri, 13 Oct 2000, Seth Cohn wrote:
>> Opera (still in beta, but it works well)
>> Galeon (mozilla light)
>> Lynx (I'm a lynx fan)
>> W3M (also text, some like it more than lynx)
>> the new K browser (Konqueror?)

Chameleon
Arena
Amaya

...or maybe not.  Chameleon and Arena are both ancient and covered with thick
layers of dust.  Amaya (the W3C's official testbed browser) is current, but
is full of bizarre "quirks."

>Thanks. Oh, yeah, it has to be graphical, so Lynx and W3M are out. I do
>use Lynx quite a bit, but only because my netscape session crashed or hung
>or whatever that thing it does is where my processor suddenly redlines and
>stays that way, all the Netscape windows show large color blocks and
>nothing works on my desktop at all except for terminal emulators --
>actually, maybe that isn't Netscape's fault....

Hmm.  Doesn't sound like any symptoms I've ever gotten from Netscape...on my
system Netscape's usual crash mode is freeze up and stop repainting its
window.  Often this is accompanied by an endlessly-growing cascade of tiny
one-pixel-by-one-pixel "error" windows that are almost impossible to dismiss
because they're too tiny to hit with the mouse.

I've discovered that the number one way to prevent Netscape from crashing
like this is to turn off Java.  Netscape's Java implementation has serious
problems with stopping and restarting applets.

I found a little doohickey called "nspipepatch.c" that seems to make the
problem less frequent, but it doesn't eliminate it.  But as long as I keep
Java turned off, Netscape is pretty stable for me.

               - Neil Parker, [EMAIL PROTECTED]