Thanks for all of your tips, Seth, Bob and Cory. I was away from my
computer for a couple of hours (I know, I'm lame, I'll try not to let it
happen again) and just got back, so I haven't tried any of your
suggestions.

It's not a memory problem, or at least a lack of memory problem anyway. I
have 256MB, am usually using about 100, and know this because I have an
epplet on my desktop which tells me.

When one of you suggested not using an x-terminal to troubleshoot, do you
mean like Eterm? Eterm works fine while the slow-motion CPU-hypergasmic
thing is going on -- if your concern was that I wouldn't be able to use
it.

-Chris