ok, this is slightly OT but unix will be used at home (darwin) I promise!!

a friend just moved to western eugene (Sean St. by the Octoberfest and Winco
off Beltline) and is trying to get high speed internet access.  the problem
he has ran into is the lack of service in western eugene.  what options
exist or what have others on the list done to overcome this problem.  from
what I understand he is not able to get DSL or cable at his current location
(even though it seems to be smack inside a populated area of eugene).  Is
this a common problem in Eugene (I am in Corvallis)?

any help or input is appreciated.

/frank