On Mon, Dec 30, 2002 at 06:08:06AM -0800, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> The best way I have figured out to get a Linux mail system up and
> running is the following.
>
> 1)  Don't use sendmail-- use postfix instead.  Postfix is much easier to
> configure, especially if you have an intermittent dial-up connection.  While
> not as scalable as sendmail, it is way more than enough for most sites.  It
> is also *way* more secure than sendmail.  It is also
> sendmail-compatible.

If by "less scalable" you mean "it does not do as much crazy shit", then
you're right.  If by "less scalable" you mean "it cannot handle as much
load as sendmail can", you're dead wrong.  =)  In fact, postfix keeps on
chugging in situations which high load would have caused qmail to puke all
over itself.  The only thing that can handle higher load I have ever seen
is zmailer.

Dan's machine uses postfix - that was the first thing I did.  It's much
easier than the Debian default mailer, exim.

> 2)  After you install sendmail, install mutt.  Now, send mail from one
> account to another on the local system, to make sure it works.  It
> should do this out of the box.  I'm not sure about Debian, but with some
> distributions, you will need to create your spoolfiles.

mut is Debian's default console email client.  (There is no default X
mailer..)

> 3)  Next, start sending mail from accounts on the system to a remote
> system which you can access by telnet or ssh.  You will need to edit
> your postfix /etc/postfix/main.cf file.  You should only need to change
> 3-4 lines.  You will also need to add a coupla lines to you .muttrc file
> to get the headers right.

Did that for him.  =)

> 4)  When you get the headers right, it's time to install and configure
> fetchmail.  This is pretty easy-- there's not a lot to a .fetchmailrc
> file.
>
> If needed, I can supply working configuration files, but not until after
> the 1st, as I'll being flying back into Portland tomorrow, and be back
> on the 1st.

Did that too.

Basically, Dan needs mutt, wvdial, etc configured so that he doesn't have
to think about how to use it because he does not want to devote the time
to learning something complex right now.  I can understand wanting
something that works now and worry about how/why later, believe me.

--
Joseph Carter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>             Intelligent backside at large

"Since it's a foregone conclusion that Microsoft will be littering its XML
with pointers to Win32-based components, the best that can be said about
its adoption of XML is that it will make it easier for browsers and
applications on non-Windows platforms to understand which parts of the
document it must ignore."
        -- Nicholas Petreley, "Computerworld", 3 September, 2001