For the higher-end iron, there is a "ServerWorks" chipset that iirc has
been licensed out, see
http://www.serverworks.com/technology/overview.html
... there is linux kernel support for this, which has some various
hardware-monitoring capabilities.  The Dell PowerEdge servers I've
worked with all use this...  hope this helps to some degree.
Also, there is another project, I think it is call "lm-sensors" or
something (this is actually part of the serverworks jazz methinks).

Can everyone get into the practice of checking google quickly, before
posting?  Then you could post some links you might find there, and say
something like "I found these, but they aren't quite what I want; I'm
looking more for X and Y"...

I found this one right off, is it similar to what you're looking for?
http://www.linux-tutorial.info/cgi-bin/display.pl?227&0&184&0&3

Also check these out for related info (specific hardware?)
http://tldp.org/links/hw.html
http://tldp.org/links/devel.html
http://www.tldp.org/LDP/sag/index.html
http://www.linuxhardware.org/
also learn about and explore /proc/pci, dmesg, and other system-info
mechanisms...

good luck!

On Wed, 2003-01-29 at 12:26, Roger wrote:
> So, is there any Linux based hardware diagnostic tools out there?
>

> Roger
Ben Barrett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
counterclaim