I thought I had heard or read that telnet can use plug-in authentication
methods?  On that topic, there was a recent review of a book called
_Radius_ about the protocol by that name, on IBM DeveloperWorks:
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/wi-lounge10.html?ca=dnt-44

DW is a great resource, and covers linux, java, wireless, and prolly
most other worthy bu$$words that come around.  I suggest it...

It would make sense, for a lot of amateur radio packet buffs to use such
a system, since the laws require that transmissions be "in the clear",
although I'd guess that secure (encrypted) authentication, if used for
the Purposes of Good, would be allowed -- I hear lots of people use ssh
tunnels over amateur anyway...  anyone on the list know about the
http://www.valleyradioclub.org/home.htm
??  Their site seems up-to-date.

Okay, I give up.  Telnet is cool.  Much MUCH cooler than floppy disks.
Go on with your bad self.

In other news:

Dell will be giving up floppies:  (phew, finally!)
http://biz.yahoo.com/ibd/030205/tech_1.html

and another interesting /. coincidence:  I ranted on this list recently
about how indeterminate the # of users behind an IP can be, and the
publication of this paper about counting the number of NAT'ed machines:
http://www.research.att.com/~smb/papers/fnat.pdf

l8rz,

  Ben B