The difference, as I understand it, is that the "good" media players
allow plug-in protocols -- I believe that even Windows Media Player will
play Ogg Vorbis files, if the codec is installed.  If the proper codec
is installed, on windows, just about any media player can use it, iirc.
Same goes for linux:  mplayer, xine, xmms, and others all have a
mechanism for allowing extension to the supported media formats...
whereas realplayer is a closed-source (afaik, although I think they did
release source for one or more of their linux products in the past,
maybe the producer??) player that only support the built-in media
formats.  Also, so far as I know, Real's formats are not playable on
linux without Real's software.  If true, this is a closed format, which
is more or less, a Bad Thing.  Humm, don't know if that is fully true:
a quick google search brought up this mailing list message:
https://listman.redhat.com/pipermail/valhalla-list/2002-July/008749.html
which seems to indicate that mplayer was capable (in the CVS code
anyway, don't know if it got into the release) of handling Real format
when properly configured and compiled (via Real's own DLLs I think)...
Wow, I just checked MPlayer's home page and it looks like they support
RealAudio/Video up to version 9, in the latest version.  It does indeed
use the Win32 DLL, here is the homepage:
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/design5/news.html

So there *is* a less-evil option, but if you want to use the truly Free
player, you still have to rely on (and allow!) some non-free code onto
your system (the DLL).  The DLL is designed for Windows, so one would
hope that it would not make any malicious linux kernel calls... but I
guess it could have malicious machine-level code for x86.  Hopefully
not.

ciao,

  Ben B

PS - moral of the story:  Don't confuse your applications (viewers, in
this case) with your document formats (codecs).

--
Ben Barrett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
counterclaim